Date and Meeting : Home of Steve Neu, 03 March, 2022, 6:30 P.M.
Board Members Present : Vice President–Nguyen, Safety Officer-Neu, Member at Large-Kosta
Via Zoom : Chairman of the Board-Murek, President-Manganelli, Member at Large-Cox, Member at Large-Struthers Editor-Belknap
Not Present : Secretary-Dresser
Called to Order by Manganelli at 6:37 P.M.
Old Business ;
- Membership renewals : 246 as of 3-1-2022. On track compared with 258 at last year’s March BOD meeting.
- Club Trailer/ Storage vs divest it : Trailer to remain stored until at least September, 2022. BOD to reconsider at that time.
- Banquet expense as compared to membership dues. BOD Decision January 12th : Dues will not increase this year; club finances will be revisited toward the end of the year to determine a prudent banquet expense for 2023 and possible dues increase for 2023.
- Raising altitude limit via AMA/FAA sanctioned Safety Risk Management (SRM) Panel. SEFSD is in the queue, we will be appraised approximately Fall, 2023 when we get close to the to the top of the list. In the meantime we must maintain positive relations with Air Traffic Management (ATM) by abiding by the terms of our current agreement!
- New T-28, 2022 themed medals disbursed to Steve Neu and Jim Bonnardel, see related item in new business.
Field Condition and Maintenance
- Field Surface Improvement. One possible improvement under discussion is application of a 2” to 3” layer of decomposed granite and compacting it to a smooth and airplane friendly surface. Larry Costa volunteered to investigate. Update by Larry Kosta : Delivered decomposed granite from West Coast Sand and Gravel would cost $513/20 yd load, estimated 200 to 300 yds^3 for our field. Next we need a “blade operator” to spread and possibly a roller operator to compact it. Discussed need to create drain slope to prevent puddling and how not to effect the existing clay cap over landfill. It was also suggested that additives are unnecessary. Of course, need to coordinate with the City Parks Dept. for permission. Investigation ongoing.
- Rain was expected and in fact occurred February 4th and 5th : should the field be rolled? BOD Decision February 2nd :Yes, roller was procured and field was rolled Friday, Feb. 6th. Thanks to Dennis LaBerge for doing all the rolling.
Report on Immediate Past Month’s Events
- T-28 Racing. 2-12 16 Pilots! All time high.
- 2-19. See Newsletter.
- Club Members Meeting, Funfly Event. February 26th. Poker Fly. CD : Bonnardel, 35 participants! 35 is apparently a lot of poker hands to maintain the relevant rankings as Jim had to retrieve and re-award the prize certificates several times! Folks were saying “Hey, doesn’t my pair of aces beat a pair of 9’s?” After many suggestions it was decided that each hand will be maintained on a 3 X 5 card so the rank of the hands can be kept in order as they evolve and the winners plucked off the top! All in great fun, cheers to Jim Bonnardel, CD, Mark Davis and Lisa Waln for the Hot Dogs/Cookies!
Schedule of Upcoming Month’s Events
- T-28 Racing. March 12th, CD Neu.
- March 19th, CD : Struthers (Mr. and Mrs.)
- Club Members Meeting and Funfly/Hot Dog BBQ. March 26th, CD : Bonnardel, BBQ Lead : Mark Davis. Event Type : 3 Ring Circus. Figure 8 Taxi Race, 10 ft Limbo Loop, 30 seconds to deadstick
- Holiday Banquet Financials : Club Outlay was approximately $11,075 and benefitted 53 members with their 47 guests. Jovi mentioned lots of positive comments about the Aerospace Museum venue and BOD members enjoyed it as well. We fell slightly short of our bar tab minimum and the outlay included $75 for that. Lacking (2) years of funding for next year, a more austere plan is needed for next year. Unsure if the Aerospace Museum is still viable for us. The plan is to create a budget that extrapolates the turnout for our recent event into next year, find costs for different venues and set a lower prize budget and a higher participation cost to reduce the club outlay. Action : Manganelli.
- Additional Medals. <Details redacted until appropriate time for club-wide dissemination> BOD Decision Feburay 2nd. 1) Yes, go forward.
- Officer Changes : Update Feb. 2 : We have a new Treasurer! Welcome aboard and thank you to Alan Isaacs for joining the SEFSD BOD! Transition from Quan to Alan is underway at this writing and no interruption of SEFSD business functions are anticipated. We also discussed a new Badge Maker; name to be divulged when appropriate.
- Club Logo Apparel : Last meeting BOD voted to solicit an updated logo design to use on hats and/or T-shirts. Proceeds for the sale to fund field improvements or? Existing logo graphics were subsequently provided to L. Kosta for his professional graphic artist to evaluate. Conceptual drafts received March 7, 2022 and currently under review by BOD. Status : Ongoing
- SEFSD Founders Perpetual Trophy. <Details redacted until appropriate time for club-wide dissemination> BOD Decision February 2nd : Yes, go forward. Action : Manganelli
- Starting Balance (at the beginning of February) :
- Income from the Past month (February) Aggregated : Unk.
- Expenses for the Month (February) Itemized :
- Aerospace Museum Rental : $ Incl.
- Banquet Catering : $ Incl.
- Outhouse Maintenance : Unk
- Badge Making/Mailing : Unk.
- Hot Dogs/chips/drinks : Unk.
- Ending Balance (as of March 2, 2022) : [removed]
Next Months BOD Meeting(s) : 6:30. April 13th, Location TBD
Adjourned : 7:30.
Minutes Submitted By : Manganelli, 3-9-2022.